Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Perfume Collection

When I was growing up, even throughout high school, I never really cared too much for perfume.  I would use body sprays occasionally but I never found myself attracted to one scent in particular.

While I was pregnant with my son, I found every scent I encountered to be horrific so I stayed away from perfumes even after he was born.  Over the past few years however I am finding that I love perfume more and more.  I enjoy "clean" scents, light floral scents and even fruity scents. 

When I purchase perfume I usually buy the smallest size possible.  It takes me FOREVER to finish a bottle so it doesn't make much sense to buy a larger bottle then have it go bad while it just sits on my dresser.  I always make sure I smell a perfume at the store to decide that I like it.  Once I like it, I spray it on myself and then go walking throughout the store.  I find that is the easiest way to "test drive" a perfume.  When you are sitting there smelling them all in a row, your nose gets tired.  Once you try a perfume on your own skin, you can get a better sense of how it will mix with your body chemistry. 


L-R- Haiku (1.7oz spray) by Avon, Harajuku Lovers "G"  (1oz spray) and Harajuku Lovers "G" (.3oz mini spray) by Gwen Stefani, SJP NYC (2oz spray) by Sarah Jessica Parker, Chloe' (3oz spray) by Karl Lagerfeld , Burberry Weekend (1oz spray) by Burberry and Romance (1.7oz spray) by Ralph Lauren.





Here are reviews on each perfume I own-

Haiku- You can purchase this perfume from Avon for as cheap as $9 when it is on sale to over $30 for full price.  I've loved this scent ever since I smelled my sister's way back when I was in high school.  Avon describes it as "a bright combination of Japanese citrus and pomegranate effortlessly blends with muguet, delicate jasmine, sandalwood, a hint of vanilla and soft musks."  Go to http://www.avon.com/ to purchase it.  


Harajuku Lovers "G"- One of my favorites is this one.  If you love a summer scent with coconut, then this is the one for you.  This scent screams summertime which is why I wear it all year long.  I swear it puts me in a better mood.  It is described as having "sandalwood, coconut, mandarin, freesia, magnolia, white cottonwoods, coconut cream, apple skin, and jasmine sambac."  It's a gorgeous scent in a super-cute bottle.  The 1oz spray is priced usually between $25-30.  The .3oz spray can be found for $15-20. 


SJP NYC- When I smell this perfume I instantly think of my 29th bday.  My close girlfriends gave me this bottle along with a great pair of wedge sandals.  This scent is fruity, sweet and is a great spring/summer scent.  My birthday is during the summer so they couldn't have picked a better perfume.  Perfume notes listed are strawberry, italian mandarin, white osmanthus, gardenia, honeysuckle, mimosa, rum, sandalwood and musk.  Whew...that's a lot!  You can find this scent for around $35. 


Chloe'- This scent holds the most memories for me.  In 1975, Karl Lagerfeld introduced this perfume to the world and it was a top choice for fashionable ladies everywhere.  My mother was one of those ladies and when I smell this scent I instantly think of her and my childhood.  It is described as having "daffodil, lily of the valley, coriander, jasmine, rose and honeysuckle over a warm base of sandalwood, amber, oak moss and fresh greens."  Recently a newer version was released however it is not as fragrant nor unique as the first Chloe' perfume.  You can still purchase bottles online for anywhere between $20-35


Weekend Burberry- One day while I was sitting with a client at work, I noticed the fabulous scent she was wearing.  She stated she had on this perfume and instantly I was hooked.  Weekend is so much nicer than the more popular Burberry or Burberry Brit.  This scent reminds me of smelling clean and fresh.  The perfume is described as having "tangerine, sape greeness, red cyclamen, blue hyacinth, wild rose, iris, cedarwood and musk" notesYou can find Weekend in the 1oz size for around $40.


Romance- This is one of those perfumes that many people have and I can tell why.  Ralph Lauren creates TONS of perfume but this is my favorite above all.  I received a bottle from my husband one Christmas and every time I smell it I think of him, Christmas and our yearly anniversary trips we take since this is the perfume he always chooses for me to wear.  I know it's cheesy to think of my husband by simply smelling a bottle of ROMANCE, however I think it is a great scent which is soft and not too overpowering.  Romance is described as having "sungoddess rose, marigold, ginger, chamomile oil, yellow freesia, white violet, lotus flower, day lily, patchouli, oakmoss and musk notes."  You can find Romance at http://www.sephora.com/ for $62.00




L-R- Kim Kardashian (1.7oz spray), Pure Grace (2oz spray) by Philosophy, Pure Grace (1oz perfume oil) by Philosophy, Very Hollywood (1oz spray) by Michael Kors and Pleasures (1.7oz spray) by Estee Lauder.


Kim Kardashian- I found out that I liked this scent via a magazine insert (which rarely happens).  Usually those testers in magazines smell horrible but I found the KK perfume to be totally different than anything else I had ever smelled.  I went to Target and bought a bottle for around $30.  I love this scent since it is heavy with gardenia and gardenia flowers are my favorites.  There is one drawback though...I thought this perfume was truly unique until I smelled the original Michael Kors-it's a dead-on match.  I don't own the original Michael Kors however if I would have smelled that one first I would have bought it instead since the KK perfume has very little staying power.  The notes in this scent are "mandarin, honeysuckle, orange blossom, jasmine, tuberose, gardenia, tonka bean, jacaranda wood, vanilla orchid, musk and sandalwood."


Pure Grace- Where do I begin?  My mother in-law introduced me to this wonderful fragrance one Christmas.  You either like it or you don't.  It's clean, fresh and pure-just like its name.  Philosophy makes wonderful products but this is the best in my opinion.  You can find the spray for around $40 and the perfume oil for around $26.  The notes in this fantastic scent are "bergamot, water lily, lavender, jasmine, cool greens and musk.  If you love a "soap and water" type of scent then this is the one for you!  I even have my mother and sister hooked on this one.


Very Hollywood- I love anything Michael Kors does, says, makes, etc.  He is hilarious in a fabulous, bitchy way.  It doesn't hurt that he makes great perfumes too.  Very Hollywood is my go-to perfume for work.  It's a great scent that is not too strong but leaves me feeling happier just by wearing it.  The bottle is super glamorous and don't forget to mention the perfume itself is pink which is perfect for all the girly-girls!  Some of the notes in this perfume are sparkling mandarin, gardenia, and vetiver."  You can find Very Hollywood for around $50-65. 


Pleasures- Launched in 1995, this perfume is floral, soft and wears well throughout the day.  Some notes in this perfume are "white lily, lilac, rose and violet."  Pleasures can be found at your nearest Estee Lauder counter for $55.  The best thing about Pleasures is the quality of the scent.  It lasts till the end of the day and wears well on almost any woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment