Sunday, October 2, 2011

New items from Phyto, Isa Knox, Lancome and Bobbi Brown


Now that cooler temperatures are on their way, I want my skin and hair to be protected.  I'll admit that I am guilty of not getting my hair trimmed as often as I should.  It's been 6 months since I have visited my stylist for a trim.  A few years ago I cut a lot of my hair off and opted for a sleek bob.  After wearing my hair like that for a while, I decided to let it grow out again.  I've always had long hair but transitioning back from a super-short style has been liberating.  I think I look better with long hair.  Since I am pathetic about keeping up with scheduling trips to my salon, my hair has more split ends than it would normally.  I have extremely thick, coarse hair that is dry.  Keeping my hair moisturized is a daunting task.  I usually wash my hair every other day, alternating between cleansing and moisturizing shampoos.  I then condition my hair after each wash with a deep conditioning mask.  After washing and conditioning, I use a detangler, leave-in conditioner and argan oil.  I only use the argan oil on my ends since I have an oiler scalp and the oil is too heavy to use all over.  The problem I have is that after taking these steps I still find my hair to be frizzy, dry and wavy (despite using a flat iron).  My hair can look sleek and straight after I wash it and blow dry it but after I go to sleep and wake up, it's very wavy and frizzy.

Phyto's Phytode'frisant

After watching some tutorials and reading some reviews lately, I've noticed a lot of people enjoy Phyto De'frisant.  The front of the tube describes it as a botanical hair relaxing balm.  It's a natural, plant-based product that doesn't have

- Sulfates
-Parabens
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates

It promises to smooth, tame and hydrate unruly hair.  If your hair is curly, it promises frizz-free curls.  Admittingly I was skeptical when I first read about the product but I must say that I've used this product for about two weeks and I am thrilled.  After the first use I didn't see a difference but after the third use I could really see that the product was working.  I can now blow dry my hair straight, go to bed and get up without using my straightening iron.  Occassionally I will have to smooth a small area but the difference is noticable.  My hair is smoother, calmer and straighter.  I still feel that this product could hydrate my hair more but overall I really like this product and the time it saves me.  Even though it's described as a balm, it comes out of the tube like a serum.  First you apply it to wet hair, comb it through and then blow dry.  I found my tube at Ulta for $26.00.

Notice the product is clear and thinner than a balm.


My hair after using Phytode'frisant and blow drying it.  I did not use a flat iron.




BB Cream and Korean Skincare


BB Sun cream by Isa Knox


Over the past 6 months I have heard a lot about BB Creams.  BB Creams, also known as Blemish Balm, is a popular skincare item in Asia.  BB Cream was originally used by dermatologists to help soothe their patients skin after laser procedures/facial surgery.  There are many different types and formulations of BB Creams sold by many different companies, however most options offer skin brighteners (to help dimish scars), anti-wrinkle ingredients with moisturizers and SPF.  Some BB Creams also act as primers and pore minimalizers.  I have been wanting to try a BB Cream for a few months since a lot of people claim they really cut down on the time it takes to apply their makeup and how they love the impressive results they get when using the cream.  BB Cream is used under foundation and it provides coverage to imperfections while blending in to match many different skin tones. 


Isa Knox Smart BB Sun cream-a little goes a LONG way!


BB Cream has become so popluar that many American companies are now offering their own versions of it.  Despite familiar companies like MAC offering BB Cream, I really wanted to try a cream from Korea since they seem to be the most popular.  There are many brands that offer BB Cream (Misscha, Skin Food, Dr. Jart, etc) but they can be hard to find if you don't have a Korean cosmetic store nearby.  I did decide to visit a Super H mart that just happens to have a Korean cosmetic store inside (Missy Cosmetics- www.missyga.com ).  I made quick friends with a friendly saleswoman who helped me nagivate my way through the many choices of BB Creams they had to offer.  I decided on the Isa Knox Smart BB Sun cream for $40.00.  Isa Knox is a popular Korean cosmetic company.  When sampling the BB Sun I noticed it was smoother, absorbed more quickly and was pleasant smelling compared to the other creams.  Another plus about the Smart BB Sun cream was that it has SPF 46  I feel I made a good choice and I hope this cream is a success.  I will be doing a review once I get to use it for a few weeks. 


Isa Knox Smart BB Sun cream applied to the right side of my hand-it blends in well!


While at the Missy store, I was given 3 samples to try...I will be using these along with the BB Cream so I can give reviews on these as well.



Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra Foundation and Bobbi Brown's Creamy Concealer Kit 


Lancome's Teint Idole foundation-I wear Buff 4C when I don't have a tan.


I absolutely adore Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra foundation.  I've used it in the past and I finally got another bottle this past weekend.  It goes on flawlessly, provides medium coverage and is very lightweight.  It melts into my skin and I don't have to spend all day blending.  It makes my skin feel very soft and it's oil free.  Despite my combination skin, it doesn't make me look "greasy" nor does it dry me out.  I really enjoy using it but the only drawback is the price.  It costs $42.00 which is a bit steep.  Since I really enjoy using it, I try to make a bottle last by switching it out with other foundations I have.  I got lucky this past weekend and I was able to pick up a bottle for a little over $30 at a cosmetic outlet I visited.


Bobbi Brown's Creamy Concealer Kit in Ivory


Bobbi Brown is a cosmetic company that I own very little from.  It's not that I don't like the products, it's just that no one around here sells Bobbi Brown so I am stuck ordering online or buying when I go shopping in a larger city.  Bobbi Brown is known for her concealers and boy do I love trying new concealers.  I like concealers just about as much as I do mascara and blush!  I have major dark circles and I am always willing to try something new.  Bobbi Brown's creamy concealer kit is pretty simple to explain.  Just open the top of the container to expose the concealer and open the bottom to reach the finishing powder.  I found my concealer kit at a cosmetic outlet for $21.00.  I purchased the shade Ivory since I like to use shades lighter than my skintone on my undereye circles.  Bobbi Brown has since redesigned the packaging and it looks different than what I have pictured here on my blog.  Some reviews I've read state that the concealer cracks and creases when used but after using it today, I found it works great without any creasing at all.  So far, so good!  You can purchase the creamy concealer kit from www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com for $36.00.



A look from above at the concealer.  It does have a creamy but non-greasy feel.


The finishing powder goes on smooth and helps to "set" the concealer.






No comments:

Post a Comment