Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Vita-Whaaaat???

I haven't posted here in over 3 weeks!  First I was hit with the flu, then a close family member was hospitalized.  It's been a busy few weeks but I'm back. 

Lately I have been on a skincare search for the best products.  First, they must be gentle on my sensitive skin.  Second, they must smell good or not smell at all-there is nothing worse than applying something that smells on my face which of course is right next to my nose!  Third, they must be reasonably priced and lastly they must work. 

I have always been interested in the Origins skincare line.  Origins prides itself with providing products driven from nature; using the least amount of chemicals possible .  Over the past year I heard a lot of women say they liked Origins, especially the Vita-Zing moisturizer.  Since I am always looking for a new moisturizer, I went ahead and purchased a tube at my local Dillards.  You can find this moisturizer at your local Origins counter in department stores or on http://www.origins.com/  This product costs $35.00 for 1.7fl. oz.  



The magic secret for this moisturizer is that it darkens as you rub it in.  It's not exactly a tinted moisturizer since the product itself is not pigmented, however there are tiny micro beads which break as you rub it, which leave behind a tint.  The salesman stated to me that this could help reduce or eliminate the need for foundation.  My skin is oily in the t-zone and drier on my cheekbones.  I usually don't struggle too much with foundation and concealer however I suffer from HUGE dark circles so I thought this may be a wonderful layer to go under my makeup. 


*Example pictured above of how the moisturizer looks when first out of the tube.

PROS- This moisturizer is very hydrating and creamy.  It applies smoothly and seems to help eliminate flaky areas on my cheeks.  A little product goes a long way since it only takes a pea-sized drop to cover most of my face.  Another good point is that it contains spf15.

CONS- The idea behind this moisturizer is nice-just rub it in and it will blend into your skin.  Unfortunately that didn't happen for me.  I have blended this moisturizer in and even tried another layer on top of the first.  I found that this product does not match my skin tone very well and appears too dark in some areas and not heavy enough in other areas.  Even if I was to wear this alone with a little eye shadow and lipstick, it would be too sticky since it takes a long time to absorb into the skin.  Another negative about this product is its size.  The tube is small despite the product going a long way with each use.  You only get 1.7oz and for this price you should get more.  If only the tint was better and the product absorbed completely, then I think it would be a winner.


*If you look in the picture above you can see where I applied the product.  This picture was after several attempts to blend the moisturizer.  I used only a small amount however you can still see the difference between my skin tone and the product.  Unfortunately this product only comes in one shade, so if they made a lighter version it might would work for me.


Overall I would not purchase this product again.  I think this product is slightly gimmicky however it is a good moisturizer for night time use since you won't have to wear it under makeup or worry about shine and absorption.   

No comments:

Post a Comment