Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheap Finds!

I love a good sale.  I'm not going to lie...I get a rush from knowing I picked up a great bargain.  I've braved the crowds on Black Friday, dug deeply in sale bins and I've been known to rummage through boxes of clearance makeup at my local K-mart looking for that "perfect deal", lol!  I'm just as comfortable shopping at the dollar store as I am Nordstrom. 


Since I love a good buy, here are some of my favorite stores that tend to sell discounted and/or cheaper items for much less than other retailers.  Beside each store I listed my favorite items to purchase when I shop there.  Some stores have a better selection of particular items, so it is important to know what you are looking for BEFORE you leave the house to shop.
  • Marshalls-shoes, rugs, small furniture, sunglasses, mens big & tall, ladies tops/dresses
  • TJ Maxx-handbags/luggage, scarves, jewelry, housewares, childrens clothing
  • Dollar Tree-soaps/lotions, school supplies, gift bags, plastic storage boxes/bins, wine/martini glasses, aluminum foil pans/bakers, birthday decorations, balloons
  • Tuesday Morning-home decor, kitchen utensils/bakeware, outdoor decor
  • Dollar General-makeup, shampoo, seasonal decorations, candy, small toys, decorative lamps
  • Sally's Beauty Supply-nail polish, combs/hairbrushes, conditioners, some makeup
  • Cato-fashion jewelry, shoes, layering pieces
  • Big Lots-seasonal decor, baby items, pet items
  • Local "hair" store-jewelry, scarves, accessories, makeup, shoes, lotions
  • Sav A Lot grocery store-basic grocery items, paper towels, frozen foods 



~~~~~Cheap Finds!~~~~~

I took a quick trip to my local "hair" store today looking for Macadamia Natural Oil products.  It's called a "hair" store because they sell many different types of hair; either for extensions, weaves or wigs.  They also carry a large selection of accessories, jewelry, body products and makeup at low prices.  Since my local Ulta is ALWAYS sold out of Macadamia Natural Oil products and Sally's Beauty Supply doesn't carry them, I thought it was time to try the hair store just to see if they carry the products or if they carry a cheaper version for me to try out.  I didn't find the Macadamia oil products but I did find an Argan oil hair creme and a Brazilian shine serum. 

I tried out both products tonight and I am pleased with the results.  The Smoothing Hair Creme with Argan oil is made by Hollywood Beauty.  I purchased a 12fl oz pump for only $9.99.  You simply pump a few pumps onto your palms and work through damp hair before styling.  I found the smell to be very nice and it really seemed to moisturize my hair.  It is not greasy and absorbs quickly.  I also enjoyed the Brazilian Keratin Serum Ultra Shine which is made in Brazil.  It is a small bottle (2oz) which I purchased for $4.99.  You simply place a small amount (dime size) onto your hands and work into damp hair before styling.  The serum calms fly-aways and makes your hair shiny.  I really enjoyed the serum but make sure you don't use too much or your hair can become a greasy mess!

Pictured below is Hollywood Beauty's Smoothing Hair Creme with Keratin and Argan Oil and Brazilian Keratin Serum Ultra Shine.  Both products are pictured with OPI's Wocka Wocka nail polish (which was released in OPI's Winter 2011 Muppets polish collection).  I found Wocka Wocka today on clearance for $6.49.  It's a gorgeous, shimmering berry color that I can't wait to use.

L-R-Hollywood Beauty's hair creme, OPI's Wocka Wocka (looks too red in this picture, look below to see a better example of it's color) & Brazilian shine serum.


My hair after using both the creme & serum (without flash).


My hair after using the creme & serum (with flash).


OPI's Wocka Wocka polish-photo is true to color.




~~~~~More Cheap Finds!~~~~~


Of course this wouldn't be a blog post about cheap finds if I didn't include some drugstore makeup!  Walgreens carries Jordana, which is a brand that I've mentioned here many times.  Jordana makes great lip and eyeliners and I decided to pick up their mascara too!  I'm happy to say that after using this mascara for the past few days, I have found it to be great at creating full lashes and that it doesn't smudge or transfer!  For only $2.99 you can't beat it.  It's even cheaper than my Covergirl mascara.  Recently I've jumped on the Revlon Lip Butter bandwagon.  EVERYONE and their momma was talking about Revlon's new lip butters and I was trying sooo hard not to buy one.  I then saw a few swatches online here that helped sway me.  I picked up only one shade but I plan to get a few more (Sweet Tart & Lollipop).  The great thing about Revlon's lip butters is that they go on smoothly, are creamy, very moisturizing and have great color payoff.  For $7.49, you should try them too.

Jordana's Best Lash Extreme mascara and Revlon's Lip Butter in Sugar Plum


Swatch of Sugar Plum (no flash)


While out shopping today I also came across a few other finds that I would like to share.  At the hair store I also picked up a pair of earrings that only cost $1.99!  I thought they were cute and would look nice with a grey or black sweater.  They have clear & grey stones placed on silver dangle hoops.  For only $1.99-why not?! 



I also stopped by TJ Maxx and picked up a great pair of shoes and a nice sweater.  I've been searching high and low for some cute leopard print shoes.  Some animal print shoes look like they belong in a strip club which isn't the look I'm going for.  The shoes I found today are leopard print sling backs with an open toe.  They are by Nine West and only cost $20!  I love Nine West shoes and I can't wait to wear these when the weather warms up!  I also picked up a draped cardigan in a soft camel color.  I think it will look great cinched with a wide brown belt or worn open with a scarf, skinny jeans and boots.  The sweater was only $19.99.


Nine West leopard sling back pumps


Draped cardigan found at TJ Maxx-size large





One more thing...

I wanted to quickly mention two products that I've rediscovered this past week.  It's been so cold lately and my lips are paying the price.  I dug through all my lip gloss and found my Nivea Kiss of Moisture balm just in time.  I love Nivea lip balms and this one has been great.  I have also rediscovered my tube (.2 fl oz size) of Amazing Cosmetics concealer in Medium Beige.  I've been enjoying the coverage over my dark circles it has been providing...good stuff.  You can find Nivea's Kiss of Moisture at your local drug store for around $2.50 and Amazing Cosmetics concealer (.2 fl oz size) for $28.00.

Amazing Cosmetics conceraler in Medium Beige and Nivea's Kiss of Moisture


















No comments:

Post a Comment